USA – overview

As the country that seems to dominate world attention on climate change, from Al Gore’s two films to Donald Trumps recklessness on maintaining the fossil fuel industry and attempting to erase environmental protections, there is so much to write about how the USA is a pivotal player in either aggravating, or holding back global warming. With an administration largely denying even the existence of climate change, so much depends on non-fossil fuel corporate America, NGOs and ordinary people taking up the challenge. Here I present the information – progress on renewables, as well as the harm that American lifestyles themselves add to the problem.

Latest news:

June 1 2018: Paris deal: a year after Trump announced US exit, a coalition fights to fill the gap. In the year since, an alliance of American cities, states and green groups have flung themselves at the gaping void left by Trump’s decision. This coalition has experienced a bruising 12 months during which successes at a local level have been regularly overshadowed by an administration intent on tearing down any edifice of climate policy. This backlash has spurred cities to quicken the pace in certain areas; New York is to electrify its bus fleet and Los Angeles has promised to abandon coal-fired electricity.  link                   

The page is in development, and singular pages cover some of the chief environmental issues

Links to pages on singular issues

Energy facts and figures

February 2018: Eighteen percent of all electricity in the United States was produced by renewable sources in 2017, including solar, wind, and hydroelectric dams. Meanwhile, both greenhouse gas emissions from power generation and consumer spending on power declined. Solar and wind projects made up roughly 62% of new power construction in 2017, with 2.9 gigawatts of new renewable energy projects initiated, while 12.5 gigawatts worth of coal plants are set to shut down in 2018. link

In 2017, almost 83% of electricity generation came from fossil fuels and nuclear power, the other 17% coming from renewables, of which hydro was 7.5%.  Natural gas contributed 33.8%, coal 30.4%, nuclear 19.7% and other non-renewables 1.2%.

Of the renewables, wind constituted 6.3%, solar was 1.3% and geothermal 0.4%. Source

In 2017, about 144 billion gallons of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, a daily average of about 391.40 million gallons per day. Source

USA and the Paris Agreement

November 2017: US renewable energy booms despite Trump vow to quit Paris deal. Renewable energy continues to grow in the United States, despite President Donald Trump’s moves to dismantle clean power, deregulate industry and promote fossil fuels like coal. Many state and city governments have pressed on with their fight against climate change, and the job force of those working in renewable energies continues to expand nationwide. link (See RGGI information.)